Friday, March 5, 2010

Midnight Showing

Went to see the midnight premiere of Disney's new Alice in Wonderland, in 3D. My dorm had a sick deal where we gather in the TV for tea and cupcakes and then head to a nearby theater, all for ZERO dollars.

The movie was not that bad! If you're amused by the graphics and the 3D effects (which I dont think are any different from the regular films), its a good film to see. In terms of storyline, you've got to be patient with the developments. It is different from the old Alice in Wonderland, in that this one is more of a coming of age story mixed in with believing the impossible. Johnny Depp was great, except sometimes I couldn't understand what he was saying. He kept using different accents to speak! And Alan Rickman as the caterpillar was brilliant. The Cheshire Cat was also really cool.

There is one question the Mad Hatter asks over and over again: "Why is a raven like a writing desk?" And because I couldn't quite understand what he said half the time, I googled the answer.

In fact, there is really NO answer. Lewis Carroll never intended that there be one, and I'm still searching for what was said in the movie. I got that the Mad Hatter said that he "haven't the slightest idea." but he may said "because they are not both made of cheese." There are other answers too: "because Poe wrote on both;" "because there is a B in both and an N in neither;" or "because both have inky quills."

Alice in Wonderland is rated PG for "fantasy action/violence involving scary images and situations, and for a smoking caterpillar."

2 comments:

  1. omg helen. u signed up for the event??? i was on the waitlist. mannnn

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOL i love the reasons for the rating.

    but omg you saw the movie in 3D! Jealous! I hope to see it period when I'm back in the States. Have you read the book? I really suggest you do, it's one of my faves, ever! The author himself is quite a character too. Omg..<3 :-)

    ReplyDelete