Thursday, January 14, 2010

the perils of the city

I was walking home from work today. It was around 6pm, so it was already dark. Walking, walking, faster than usual because it was so cold, I just wanted to get indoors. I come to the crosswalk at West 13th (maybe at this point its East 13th) and 4th Ave, and I see the bright white dude, telling me its okay to cross. So i cross.

Then I see the bright lights of a large taxi. I sort of lean back, step back, and I feel the cold metal through my glove. I still can't believe how close of an encounter that was. It happened so fast. The taxi driver must have stopped to make sure he didn't fuck up, but I just kept walking, getting onto the sidewalk. I wasn't shaky at all afterwards. Usually when something like this happens to someone, don't they feel like their whole perspective on life changes? Maybe that's being a little too dramatic. But I know for sure, I'm going to even more wary at crosswalks, even when it is supposedly okay to cross. Stupid taxis.

I've been meeting up with friends whom I haven't seen a really long time, and it feels so good to chat and reminisce, hear what they have accomplished during the time apart, discuss the future. There are still people I want to see, which makes me look forward to the beginning of school. And I guess after this close shave, makes me look forward to anything in the future.

2 comments:

  1. Oh no Helen! I've had some (er..too many!) close encounters myself in NYC, and it always happens like that: you're just so shocked in the beginning you don't even absorb anything, but keep walking, until you're back inside and sit there and think about it. I hope you are feeling okay by now! <3 <3

    ReplyDelete